Monday, September 30, 2013

A Good Friend is Like a Good Book


Happy Monday! I've got a tutorial for you today for this card I have created with fall inspired colors (I know, it's going to be 80 tomorrow...October 1...but still!). So let's get to it.


My son picked up some leaves the other day at the bus stop waiting for my oldest, so I used those in a fun way. As you can see, I chose my patterned paper and just taped down the leaf to the paper towel underneath. 



Next, I took my craft sponge and sponged my Distress Ink in Pumice Stone over the leaf. It's going to create a reverse silhouette of the leaf. Just a subtle look, but I think it's fun!


I then took some spray mists I have on hand. To achieve these spatter dots, what you want to do is unscrew the sprayer from the bottle. Dip the wand end of the sprayer into the solution in the bottle and just flick it on. Make sure you do this on a craft mat/paper towel so you don't make a huge mess. Not like I speak from experience or anything... ;) I chose to use two different colors on this one.


Then take your leaf off the paper (and you can see the subtle leaves!) and cut down to adhere to your card base. I just chose to round the upper left corner of the patterned paper and card base. 


Next, I cut out of a scrap piece of dark brown cardstock a simple scalloped border and adhered it to the bottom of the card. I also fussy cut around my book image which is from Sheena A Little Bit Magical set, The Quest. The "for my friend" sentiment is from the Makey Bakey Everyday, Stitched with Love. I just made a simple pennant shape for that and gently sponged the Pumice Stone on that so it wasn't stark white. I did that with the book as well, although it's very subtle. 

The book image is colored in with my Spectrum Noir markers. I used DR6, GB3, GB6, GB8, and TN1.



And here is the complete card! I just pulled off one of the leaves I used and you can see where it looks like it's aged because of the spray mist and distress ink! Such a fun way to incorporate something a little different. This would be a great card to give a book lover for their birthday!

No comments:

Lawn Fawnatics Challenge #8: Summertime Fun

  It's challenge time over at Lawn Fawnatics! This is challenge #8 which is summertime fun.  I mean, we are in the thick of summe...