Sunday, March 16, 2014

Maptastic Card


Here is a very simple encouraging card you can recreate! You'll be shocked with what I created the background with...heehee.

I have been seeing a trend in paper crafting for a while now that I LOVE - watercolor. I hadn't purchased "grown-up" watercolors yet, so I snagged my kids watercolors. I just used better brushes than what comes with the kids. I also "borrowed" my oldest's watercolor paper to do this.


Since I wanted to make a bunch of different color combos, I took a few pieces of the watercolor paper and went to town with different color combos. I loved the look of these blues, green, turquoises together. So I just painted as I wanted, no rhyme or reason. I then flicked on some darker brown paint to give it a little dimension and add interest.

Once dry, I then cut to fit onto my teal card base and rounded the bottom corners. I took my Stamp-It Australia, A Map stamp and inked it up with Memento Luxe, Grey Flannel. I wanted a softer look than black would have given me. This color worked perfectly. I snuck in an enamel dot in the center of the compass. I then tied some blue and white twine around the top of the card.

You'll notice I didn't glue the map/watercolor piece on perfectly. That's perfectly fine because most maps aren't perfect. I love the wrinkles in it and the little bit of irregularity at the top. I think the watercolor paper is perfect for this.

I did purchase some grown-up watercolors I'm anxious to create something with, but in the mean time, snag your kids art supplies and think outside the box! :)

Check out all the amazing products offered at Crafter's Companion.

No comments:

Lawn Fawnatics Challenge #8: Summertime Fun

  It's challenge time over at Lawn Fawnatics! This is challenge #8 which is summertime fun.  I mean, we are in the thick of summe...